Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Fragon Tales and the Wild Things"

We have a song, Landon and I. It is a song that I have sung to him since he was only a few months old. I remember another mother talking about how her older son knew the song and how it melted her heart to know that she had made that song into a memory. I wanted the same for us, and I set out to find the perfect song.

It didn't take me long.

I chose "Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)" by the Dixie Chicks. I recently heard a version by Radney Foster and just found out that he originally wrote the song for his son, and the Dixie Chicks covered it. The words are just perfect. I started singing it to him while snuggling him to sleep or when he was crying inconsolably. Singing to him became one of the quickest methods of calming him down when he was worked up. The song was usually what I chose to sing to him.

The first time he recognized it, he was around 9-10 months old. I had taken Landon to Parents' Night Out at daycare so I could have some "me time". Justin was working that night. I picked Landon up and brought him home, and he was screaming as I changed him for bed, overtired and past his bedtime. I didn't know what else to do, so I started singing the song. He instantly calmed down and started listening to me... and even smiling! I felt like I had succeeded - I wanted our song to be special, and he was already showing me that it was.

A year or so ago, he was becoming more and more verbal, and started talking about the song. He asked me to sing to him at night. If I tried to sing the song during the day, or if the song came on while my MP3 player was playing in the car, he told me that that song was only for bedtime. It was so sweet. He also once interrupted me while I was singing it and told me that he's not a baby anymore. That made me sad, but luckily it was short lived and he went back to enjoying our song.

The other night, he asked for me to sing it. It took me awhile to figure out which song he was talking about, though, because he asked for "Fragon Tales and the Wild Things." I finally realized that he was referring to the first line of the song... "Dragon Tales and 'The Water Is Wide.'" I started singing it to him, and he relaxed, smiled sleepily, and hugged me. When it was over, he said, "I love you, Mommy."

I think I've succeeded. :) I'm working on the same thing for Kelsey, but she's not quite the snuggler Landon was, so I'm not sure it will be the same thing. Her song is "Lullaby" by the Dixie Chicks. I'll keep working on it.


Dragon tales and "The Water is Wide"
Pirates sail and Lost Boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels' wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight Moon, we'll find the mouse
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels' wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

God bless Mommy and Matchbox cars
God bless Dad and thanks for the stars
God hears, "Amen" wherever we are
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels' wings
Godspeed
Godspeed
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...